Friday, July 30, 2010

Exercising on the Job

My colleague and friend Linda Caffee got me started on this exercise thing. It all began when our Trucking Solutions Group got together for our first face-to-face meeting at a conference in Denver, Colorado last year April. I got there on a Sunday and got a call from Linda who met me in the lobby of our hotel. Linda and I hit it off right away. She is so down to earth and friendly that I felt very comfortable around her. In fact, I was so comfortable that I forgot my aversion to exercise! I can still hear myself telling her that I would meet her in the exercise room the next morning at 5:00 a.m.

That first week was a great week. I found that even though we all (the Trucking Solutions Group) had our days full with the conference and also went out somewhere to eat every night, I was still eagerly looking forward to exercising in the morning. Another lady named Rose started coming down also (boy was she in great shape!) While we were exercising Linda, Rose and I talked about this and that and before you know it our time was up. I had heard that exercising gave you energy; well I guess that was how we made it through that activity filled week! But, the real test was whether I would continue on this exercise “thing” even when I didn’t have my role models around.

Those first few days at home were the hardest. Lucky for me, I am an early riser. I am usually up and at em around 5:00 a.m., so that part was easy. But, what I really and truly love to do while I’m at home is (drum roll please) NOTHING!!! So, getting my behind out of the house was a real challenge. I think that I called Linda at least a couple of times during that first week! I remember how long that half an hour was. Yes, you heard right, one half hour!

I have a song that I really like that goes back to the good old days. It’s called Planet Rock by Africa Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force and it has a really great beat. Well, back in the day, I use to cut the heck out of a rug so I used that song to pace myself. The song lasts for seven minutes and 34 seconds. I would listen to that song and also listen to some Annie Lennox (I know, quite a mix LOL) and do my walk. By the second week I had worked my way up to 45 minutes. By the third week (and also the week we were scheduled to go back out on the road) I had worked up to one hour and had also added a few twists.

The twists I added were as follows:

1. Two 2.5 pounds weights that I could velcro around my ankles, and
2. Two three pound barbell weights that I carried in my hands

I concentrated on my stride and on also working with the weights in my hands. In this way I could strengthen my legs as well as my arms. Now, the real trick would be how I could work it into my work schedule.

The first thing I had to do was to make exercising a priority! I try and walk in the early mornings or early evenings. That is when the temperature is most conducive to the exertion of walking. I don’t always have one hour so I will walk a half an hour if that is all the time I have. Sometimes I don’t even have that and I only walk for 20 minutes. The trick is to just do it! No excuses. Hubby and I haul air freight and our loads aren’t usually ready till late at night. We usually deliver early in the morning so that gives me the opportunity to walk at least three times a week and sometimes even four or five times a week.

I avoid exercising in the middle of the day. I did that once in New Orleans; big mistake! The humidity was terrible. I managed to get in a half hour, but it was hard. I don’t want to do anything that would make exercising distasteful and that would definitely accomplish that. I concentrate on the beauty of nature and sometimes I even bring my camera. I don’t always go for power walks. The other day we were in Seattle, Washington and I decided to take a leisurely walk around the neighborhood. Before you know it three hours had passed and I had walked five miles! I also got to meet some really nice people to boot!

We make sure and park a good distance from all services at truck stops or at our terminals. On the days when we are under the gun, I will usually get out and walk my dogs Sheba and Doodles during my shift. After I get them back in the truck I will make the time to do a quick power walk for about 15 minutes. We have yet to be late on a delivery!

I’m still developing my exercise routine, but for now this seems to work. I have worked my way up to six pounds around each ankle and two five pound barbells that I use to develop the muscles in my arms, shoulder and back. I know that it isn’t easy trying to keep in shape while we’re out on the road, but if you put your mind to it, it can be done. If the girl whose favorite activity is NOTHING can do it, so can you!

No comments: